At every Cuddles Childcare Centre, whether you live in Wattle Grove or any other Perth suburb, we make sure to learn whether your child has food allergies and/or food intolerance. Both are serious matters and are important to your child’s health and wellbeing.
Food intolerance is more important than food allergies and are often mistaken for food allergies. Here is some crucial information about how to tell the difference.
What is a Food Allergy?
The good news about food allergies is that most children grow out of them but they are serious and some can even be fatal, such as an allergy to peanuts. A food allergy is a condition where your child’s immune system reacts to a food like a toxin.
When your child is allergic to a food, eating it causes their body to defend against it with antihistamines and other chemicals into the body. In the case of peanuts, even a small amount can cause a child to go into anaphylactic shock and die without medical intervention.
What is Food Intolerance?
Food intolerance is your body’s inability to digest or assimilate a food or beverage you have consumed. The body reacts negatively to these substances but it’s not an immune system reaction like an allergy. Symptoms are usually lighter but can still cause discomfort.
Common Food Allergies
Some common food allergies: peanuts, soybeans, eggs, milk, wheat, tree nuts and wheat. These cause 90% of all food allergies. The remaining 10% are caused by a wide selection of different foods.
Common Food Intolerances
Some common food intolerances: dairy (known as lactose intolerance), MSG, citrus fruit, strawberries and tomatoes.
How Long do Food Allergies and Food Intolerances Last?
Food allergies like wheat, soybeans, eggs or milk usually disappear by the time a child is a teenager. Dangerous allergies like peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish are usually lifelong. It is important to never assume a child has outgrown a food allergy. This should be determined by a doctor.
Food intolerances can be lifelong or temporary. A physician’s care is also required for determining whether a food intolerance has worn off.
Call Your Closest Cuddles Childcare Centre
To learn more or to enquire about child care, call the Cuddles Childcare Centre closest to you.