At Cuddles Childcare Centres, we feel we provide the best daycare in the Perth area. When we talk to parents who have had children “graduate” from daycare up to school, the most common feedback is that they wish school was as much fun for their child as daycare was. Sadly, that is not the case.
While the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) provides for learning through play and programs that are fun such as “Jolly Phonics,” education becomes much more serious when the child goes to school. We think it’s sad that schools can’t be more like the EYLF but all we can do is do the best we can here in our daycare centres.
With school comes a different environment with a much more rigid schedule and expectations. To make it more difficult, your child is meeting new children and trying to adjust to that group dynamic, too. It’s easy to understand why the transition is so tough on children. Here are some ways you can ease the transition.
- Take your child to the school for visits a few times to get them used to the environment.
- Take your child to meet teachers and other staff members who will be part of their day when they arrive at school.
- Talk to your child about the “buddy system” where older children mentor first year students.
- Read books about starting school with your child.
- Get involved in any of the school’s community activities.
- Attend school events such as school concerts, assemblies and the end of the year picnic.
- Start developing relationships with parents of other students. Make a concerted effort to get to know the parents of your child’s friends.
- Develop great attendance patterns for your child.
- Organise study time at home. If possible, have a special time where you help your child with homework or read together.
- Keep an “open channel” with teachers and administrators to discuss any concerns or questions you have about your child.
To learn more or to enquire about daycare in the Perth area, call your nearest Cuddles Childcare Centre today.