Any childcare centre in the Perth area or across Australia is subject to the National Quality Standard (NQS). The NQS is part of the National Quality Framework (NQF), which we have already discussed elsewhere on this blog. We would like to give you a “short version” of how the NQS works.
The NQS provides a set of consistent standards for child care in Perth and across Australia. Every childcare centre in the Perth area is assessed to ensure that it is adhering to the standards set forth in the NQF and the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF). One of the most important outcomes is the continuous improvement of child care.
Here are the major benefits for children and their parents.
- Higher carer to child ratios.
- Much better individual attention and care for children.
- Educators with more skill and higher qualifications.
- Better support for your child’s development and learning.
- A national feedback mechanism to allow parents to assess the quality of care and education services available to them.
Research Wins the Day
The NQS is based on the concept that learning begins in the cradle. Therefore, the NQS encourages children to begin learning as soon as possible. This has resulted in two frameworks:
- The EYLF, also known as “Belonging, Being and Becoming.”
- The Framework for School Age Care, known as “My Time, Our Place.”
How Ratings Help Raise Standards
All care and education services for children are now rated. This includes family day care, long day care, outside school hours care and preschools.
Each school is given a rating in seven different areas and an overall rating that takes them into consideration. There are five different levels or grades that are given to facilities:
- Significant Improvement Required
- Working Towards National Quality Standard
- Meeting National Quality Standard
- Exceeding National Quality Standard
- Excellent Rating: this is awarded by the ACECQA.
To learn more or to enquire about child care in the Perth area, call your nearest Cuddles Childcare Centre today.